Get Real Relief from Sensitive Teeth
If your teeth tingle when touched or feel painful when exposed to hot or cold conditions, you’re probably dealing with tooth sensitivity. Fortunately, you can reduce and relieve the problem with the following steps and solutions.
6 Common Causes of Sensitive Teeth
You need to understand the reason for sensitivity in order to get relief. Teeth tend to become sensitive when the outer layer of the tooth called the tooth enamel wears away and reveals the inner layer called the dentin. The dentin is closer to the nerves, which makes teeth feel sensitive when touched. Tooth sensitivity can develop for many reasons, including:
- Brushing teeth too aggressively can lead to loss of tooth enamel and exposure of dentin
- Receding gums
- Grinding teeth can also degrade the enamel and cause sensitivity
- Acidic beverages can lead to erosion of the tooth enamel and resultant dentin exposure
- Numerous dental treatments, such as repeated tooth whitening and many tooth restorations, can erode tooth enamel and make teeth sensitive over time
- With aging, the outer surface of a tooth tends to naturally wear away with time
Best Treatments for Tooth Sensitivity
To find out the cause of your sensitive teeth, see an affordable dentist. To detect the precise site of your sensitivity, the dentist will dispense a spray of air over every tooth. For immediate relief, the dentist may apply a desensitizer that places a protective coating over the teeth to reduce overall sensitivity. Severe tooth sensitivity may necessitate dental restorative treatment, but most people can get relief with at-home treatments.
Relief from Sensitive Teeth
Today, there are many ways to manage tooth sensitivity. An affordable dentist can recommend the right treatments at the right price for you. Some of your options:
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush can reduce tooth sensitivity.
- Fluoride toothpastes and mouth rinses can make the nerves less sensitive.
- For severely sensitive teeth, in-office desensitizers can provide even greater relief, sometimes lasting for years.
- Over-the-counter desensitizers can supplement and extend in-office treatments.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Thorndale, call Gentle Dental of Thorndale today at (610) 590-1798 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Thorndale. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Thorndale, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Thorndale.