Dental Emergencies in Children
When your child becomes a toddler, the fun of exploring the environment can turn to pain when a dental injury or trauma occurs. The same can happen when the first sports-related dental accident of adolescence takes place. Dental emergencies can be alarming for you and your child, but the chances of experiencing one are high. Before you panic, remember that many dental emergencies are easily treated, and an emergency dentistry professional can often save damaged teeth if you seek care promptly. Review the following emergency situations, so you’ll be ready for the challenge.
The Top 6 Childhood Dental Emergencies
- Knocked-out teeth must be treated quickly to save it. Emergency dentists can often re-implant a permanent tooth if your child gets treatment within an hour. If your child loses a tooth, retrieve it carefully without touching the root. If it is dirty, you can rinse it under plain water, but never scrub its surface. If your child is old enough that he or she won’t swallow the tooth, place it into the tooth socket gently. For children who may swallow the tooth, place it in a cup of milk. In either case, see your dentist immediately.
- Crown fractures are common dental emergencies. X-rays are necessary to determine the true extent of damage, but a pink or yellow color change inside the tooth is a serious warning sign. Visit your child’s dentist in Thorndale or proceed to an emergency room to assess the injury.
- Tooth displacement may indicate an underlying injury to the jawbone. If a tooth protrudes at an unnatural angle, offer a cold compress to relieve pain and swelling and see the dentist immediately.
- Lip, tongue, and cheek injuries from cuts or accidental bites may bleed profusely. Apply direct pressure to control bleeding. If it persists, go to a hospital emergency room or call for assistance.
- Broken jaws are serious and painful injuries. If a jaw injury occurs, tell your child not to move the jaw, and proceed to an emergency room immediately.
- Obvious head injury or head trauma can result in serious complications such as concussion and internal bleeding. These injuries are beyond the scope of emergency dentistry; go to a hospital or call 911 at once in all cases of head trauma in children.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Thorndale, call Gentle Dental of Thorndale today at (610) 590-1798 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Thorndale. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Thorndale, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Thorndale.