6 Little-Known Dental Facts
While dental care is a serious subject, that doesn’t mean that some wacky facts about teeth shouldn’t make you smile. Check out these six little-known dental facts to gain some wisdom about your teeth.
1. Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. No substance is tougher than tooth enamel, which is the visible part of the tooth covering the crown. Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the body because it contains the highest percentage of minerals. But while this high mineral content makes tooth enamel strong, it also makes it fragile and vulnerable to destruction through demineralization caused by decay. So while tooth enamel is very hard, it’s still very easy to lose.
2. A prisoner braided floss into a rope and used it to scale a prison wall. Although it’s skinny and scrawny, dental floss is much stronger than it looks. In 1994, a prison inmate in West Virginia braided dental floss into a rope and then used it to scale the prison wall and escape without a trace. And you thought floss was only used to escape the problems of plaque!
3. You should replace your toothbrush every three months. You should buy a new brush at least every three months. And be sure to always toss your toothbrush after having a cold, the flu, or any other kind of viral infection. Why? Because that bacteria can remain on the brush’s bristles and lead to re-infection. Now that’s reason enough to swap out your brush.
4. People who drink three or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings, and tooth loss. And if you think that diet soda is any better since it doesn’t contain any sugar, think again. While it may be free of the sugar that led to decay, it still contains the acids that wear away at tooth enamel. Better think before you drink and choose something better than soda.
5. More than 75% of Americans suffer from some form of gum disease. In fact, it’s the leading cause of tooth loss in people over age 35. Fortunately, most cases of gum disease can be controlled, corrected, or completely prevented by practicing good dental care habits.
6. You should go to the dentist twice a year. While we often hear that we should see the dentist twice a year, that recommendation is not based on medical wisdom but was actually an ad slogan for Pepsodent toothpaste in 1929! The concept was embraced and encouraged by dental care experts and today we’re told to go twice a year. While it may have started as a catchy tagline, the notion of visiting the dentist twice a year reflects the idea of prevention. If you practice a little prevention and see an affordable dentist twice a year, you can spot and stop dental problems before they become severe.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Thorndale, call Gentle Dental of Thorndale today at (610) 590-1798 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Thorndale. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Thorndale, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Thorndale.